Hi Bold Bakers!
There’s no shame in picking up a boxed brownie mix from your grocery store to whip up a quick, easy dessert for when your chocolate cravings hit — but my “homemade” boxed brownie recipe is just as easy, even more delicious, and (what I love most) you know exactly what you’re putting into your mix.
I have a lot of brownie recipes (everything from My Best-Ever Brownies, to indulgent Cream Cheese Brownies, to my 1-Minute Microwave Mug Brownie!), but these brownies have such a yummy flavor, and the texture is incredible! They have the fantastic crisp on top and an unbelievable chewy center.
If you noticed, the chocolate in these brownies looks especially melty. We took the photos of these brownies while they were still warm — we were too excited to wait to eat them!!
This recipe reminds me a lot of those boxed brownie mixes you can pick up, so if you have a hardcore boxed-brownies-only fan at home, give this recipe a shot. Have your own Bake Off! One person makes the boxed version, and one person whips this homemade version up. You will need an impartial judge, though I’m sure you won’t have to look very hard for someone willing to have at least two brownies.
What Are Better-Than-Boxed Brownies
My “Homemade” boxed brownie recipe is a lot like the boxed version from the grocery store. You know, the kind with all the pre-measured dry ingredients that you add some oil and an egg to.
This recipe calls for a lot of similar ingredients, except we use butter, high-quality bittersweet chocolate, and zero palm oil, or corn syrup, or any other ingredient that makes you raise an eyebrow when you’re reading the back of the box.
What You Need To Make Better-Than-Boxed Brownies
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 8×8 inch pan
- Parchment paper
- Microwave safe bowl or a bain-marie
- Mixing bowls
How To Make Better-Than-Boxed Brownies
Did you know Betty Crocker wasn’t even a real person?! The jury’s still out on the Pillsbury Doughboy… Anyway, here’s how you make easy “homemade” boxed brownies (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, down below):
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare an 8×8-inch pan by buttering it and lining it with parchment paper.
- In a microwave or over a bain-marie, melt the butter and 1 ½ cups (9oz/255g) of the chopped chocolate together gently.
- Once melted, stir in the sugars, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat the eggs and whisk them into the chocolate mix until it is just combined.
- Sift over the bowl of the chocolate mix your flour and cocoa powder. Stir until it is just combined. Then, fold in the remaining ½ cup (3oz/85g) of chopped chocolate. Evenly spread the mixture into your prepped baking pan.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the brownies are just set.
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making A Better Boxed Brownies
- I love to use salted butter for that extra flavor. Salt and chocolate belong together!
- Don’t be shy with the vanilla extract! The more the merrier at this party!!
- Use a good quality bar of bittersweet chocolate. I like to use something around 72% cocoa solids. The sugar in the recipe will balance out the bittersweet chocolate, giving you a perfect balance.
- Make sure your cocoa powder is unsweetened! You don’t need extra sugar in this recipe.
- If you don’t eat eggs, no worries! You can replace them with flax egg. Check out my Egg Substitute Chart for more info.
- Use dark brown sugar for a lovely caramel flavor. You can make your own using my recipe!
How Do I Store “Homemade” Boxed Brownies?
These brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze these brownies for up to 1 month. Be sure to let the brownies come to room temperature before serving!
Get More Brownies!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Watch The Recipe Video!