A delicious easy coleslaw recipe that’s always a crowd favorite! Crunchy cabbage with a delicious dressing, this easy coleslaw is a perfect side anytime!
Coleslaw has to be one of the most humble of recipes. It works perfectly with so many dishes as the side dish, but rarely gets the star treatment that it really deserves.
Made with shredded cabbage and ingredients you most likely have on hand, this recipe with a creamy coleslaw dressing is always a crowd favorite and makes the best coleslaw recipe I’ve ever had!
For years, my family made this coleslaw the traditional way of grating cabbage and carrots by hand or in the food processor. While that is definitely still one of the ways I make it, I’ve found that 9 times out of 10 when I make it, I simply grab a bag of the coleslaw mix or cabbage at the grocery store. I’ve updated my classic recipe based on this easy method. I’ve included the classic method in the notes of the recipe as well.
Easy Coleslaw Ingredients
- Shredded Coleslaw Mix
- Sugar or honey
You can also add other mix-in ingredients to your coleslaw, like:
- Sliced Green Onion
- Celery Salt
How to Make Easy Coleslaw Recipe
Prep. Add the shredded coleslaw mix to a large mixing bowl.
Make the Dressing. The dressing is the key to this creamy coleslaw! Whisk together your mayonnaise, buttermilk (if you don’t have buttermilk, use my handy buttermilk substitute recipe!), vinegar, sugar and salt in another medium bowl or 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Whisk until the sugar has completely dissolved. Pour over the cabbage mixture in your bowl and toss well to evenly coat with the coleslaw dressing.
Serve. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
And even though it is mighty delicious as soon as it is made, I truly believe that it is even more delicious the next day for lunch with any leftovers we might have. That time in the refrigerator gives it a little bit more time to marinate in that creamy coleslaw dressing that tastes so amazing.
How Long Does Coleslaw Last?
- Coleslaw lasts in the refrigerator a day after the dressing has been added to it.
- To make ahead, stir together the coleslaw dressing up to 3 days ahead and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and serve.
What Main Dish Do You Serve with Coleslaw?
For a quick answer: anything!
This recipe definitely works well with so many dishes that it is no wonder it makes a classic side dish!
This is the recipe that we have made for years and one that my family has always devoured! It always makes an appearance for picnics and BBQs to go with our favorite classic cookout fare.
Original Classic Coleslaw Recipe
Since I updated my family’s classic coleslaw recipe to use a more modern approach that I’ve found myself turning to time and again, I still wanted to preserve the original classic coleslaw recipe that my family has loved for years. If coleslaw mix isn’t your favorite, this version is a must-try!
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots shredded
- 1/2 small sweet onion diced (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Place shredded cabbage, carrots and onions into a medium size bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, sugar, and salt to a large bowl and whisk together with a fork until well-combined and smooth. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Add black pepper and celery seeds. Pour mayonnaise dressing over cabbage and toss together to mix thoroughly.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill in refrigerator before serving.
Here’s my easy coleslaw recipe. Be sure to make it soon. I think you’ll absolutely love it!